Skip to content
Fast Facts on Treatments for Prostate Cancer
- About 9 out of 10 men with prostate cancer have cancer that has not spread outside the prostate gland. That means it is localized prostate cancer.
- Most men with localized prostate cancer survive their cancer. This is true with watchful waiting or any active treatment.
- Research can’t tell us yet which option is best for localized prostate cancer. Each man will have to decide based on what he thinks about the benefits and risks.
- Men who have prostate surgery are more likely to survive their cancer than men who use watchful waiting.
- Prostate cancer treatments can cause long-lasting sexual, urinary, and bowel problems.
- Hospitals and surgeons that do more prostate surgeries have better results.